University of Huddersfield Logo

Student safety

Student Safety on Campus

Safer Student Officer

Laura Jackson is the Safer Student Officer at the University Of Huddersfield whose role is to keep you safe by offering crime prevention advice and safety tips.  Whilst enjoying your experience as a student, being mindful of a few simple tips will help you to protect your own safety as well as that of others. 

Laura has a wealth of experience and has worked for the West Yorkshire Police Force for 13 years in a wide range of areas including front line police work.  For the last six years she has worked in Huddersfield and the wider Kirklees area.  Her working days are Monday to Friday, 8.00am-4.00pm and her office is in the Atrium, Central Services Building.



Tel. 07939 466979
Twitter. WYP_HuddsUni

If you wish to report a crime that doesn’t require an immediate response, you can contact Laura between 8.00am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday, or call 101 at any time.  Please contact 999 in case of an emergency.  

Top safety tips

Follow this link to get lots of tips for keeping safe on and off campus or test your knowledge to keep 'your student' safe with our 'Appy student!' app that is now available on Android and iOS - can you look after your student? 

Why not also join OWL University Watch?

What is the difference between a hate incident and hate crime?

A hate incident is any non-crime incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity or perceived disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.  Examples include verbal or online abuse, insults or harassment such as taunting, offensive leaflets and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, and bullying at school or in the workplace.

A hate incident becomes a hate crime when there is a criminal offence attached to it such as a physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti, arson and inciting hatred online.

Reporting a hate incident or hate crime

If you are the victim of a hate incident or hate crime, or have witnessed one and want to report it, you can do this:

  • In person at Wellbeing and Disability Services (via iPoint) or the Students' Union Advice Centre in Student Central - these are both Hate Crime Reporting Centres. This way you can choose whether you want your report to be anonymous and whether you would like it to be passed on to relevant agencies such as the Police, and in Huddersfield, Kirklees Safer Communities Partnership.
  • To the police by dialling 101 or in person to Laura Jackson, the University police officer Tel. 07939466979 Email.

For more information, please see Kirklees Hate Incident reporting information or pick up a leaflet at Wellbeing and Disability Services. 

You might also like to visit the following web-sites:



Last updated Thursday 9 June 2016
Thank you for your feedback.

Your feedback has been sent to the University Web/Digital Marketing Team.

The awards winner 2012, 13, 14, 15
University of the year 2013
QS 4 Star Logo
Athena Swan Bronze Award

VAT registration number 516 3101 90

All rights reserved ©