Returning to study

We welcome students returning to Higher Education after doing something else in life or have had change in personal circumstances before returning to studying. In fact, 63% of Huddersfield students are aged 21 or over (HESA 2015/16). We have plenty of experience and resources to help you decide on your course, look at entry routes into Higher Education, explore ways to enhance your career prospects and support you with the application process.

Foundation years

If it's been a while since you left the education system, we have lots of ways to help you get back into the swing of studying. If you don't have the formal qualifications required for degree-level study, you can enrol for an extended degree of either four or five years, which includes a foundation year. You don't have to choose your degree course until you've completed your foundation year.

If you already have a good idea of what course you would like to study, why not find out what courses we offer at Huddersfield.

Help for parents

Studying when you have a family is a rewarding experience – there’s no doubt that you’ll be very busy, and it might seem like a huge challenge, but you certainly won’t be the only one juggling university and home life. We have a number of students parents who have decided to study with us.

Caring for children can be expensive but don’t let this prevent you from going to university especially as there are a number of schemes that can help you. The Government offers a number of different options for financial support for parents in Higher Education including Childcare Grant, Parents' Learning Allowance and help with paying for childcare.

Finding the right childcare

If you need any help finding childcare you can search for local childcare providers on the Kirklees Council website. There is also a wealth of information to support parents on the Kirklees Council Family Information Directory.

More information

You can find further information and help on the C & K Careers' website. C & K Careers offer high quality, impartial information, advice and guidance (IAG) services to young people and adults on behalf of schools, colleges, local authorities, prime and area-based contractors and employers.


© 2017 University of Huddersfield - All rights reserved

VAT registration number 516 3101 90