Finance for research degrees
Information about the cost of research degrees for both - 2017/18 and 2018/19 intake including Masters by Research, Master of Philosophy, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Enterprise, Doctor of Education and Doctor of Business Administration, can be found on our postgraduate fees webpages.
Fees for international students
International applicants should refer to our International webpages for tuition fee information.
Additional programme costs
Additional programme costs (sometimes known as bench fees) may be charged for research degrees, in which there are exceptional costs directly related to the research project. For some subject areas, such as Science and Engineering, these costs could range from £3,000 - £16,000 per year, dependent upon the research project. If you wish to know if these costs will apply to the course you’re interested in, please contact our Admissions and Records Office on +44 (0)1484 473969 or email email@example.com who will be able to direct your query to the relevant department.
Examples of exceptional costs include:
- Equipment maintenance costs
- Equipment hire
- Access costs to specialised equipment
- Patient/volunteer expenses
- Tissue/cell culture
- Special reagents/materials
- Purchase of laboratory consumables
- Purchases of additional special permanent laboratory equipment
- Photography and film processing
- Video tape filming, recording, CD archiving
- Specialised computation
- Travelling costs - where this is integral to the research, it would not normally cover conference attendance except in special circumstances
- Access to specialist facilities/resources
- Special statistical packages
- Access to special databases
- Data collection costs (e.g. postage, envelops and stationary, questionnaire administration)
- Interview translation and transcription costs.
The Government has introduced a postgraduate Master's loan of up to £10,280. This loan is intended as a contribution to the cost of an eligible* postgraduate Master's qualification. For more information visit the postgraduate loans webpage.
*Ineligible courses include but are not limited to teacher training/NHS/Master of Architecture (Part2).
As part of a major expansion in research activity the University has made available university research scholarships.
Fees can be paid via one of the following options:
- In full before or at enrolment.
- In two equal instalments. The first instalment should be made at the time of enrolment and the second no later than four months after enrolment, for example, by the end of January for October starts.
Payments can be made in person at the cashier's office on Level 8 of the Central Services Building, by debit/credit card by ringing 01484 472688 or by using the web payments system. Cheques should be made payable to 'The University of Huddersfield HEC'.
If you are unsure about the cost of your course and would like to discuss the options for financing your study further, please contact our Student Finance Office on +44 (0)1484 472210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.