Funding for PGCE and PgDipE courses

Funding for PGCE lifelong learning, secondary and primary school teacher training available to PGCE students:

  • A loan to pay your tuition fees
  • A means-tested maintenance grant
  • A government training bursary
  • A maintenance loan to help with living costs

PGCE tuition fee loans

The tuition fee for PGCE students in 2016/17 and 2017/18 is £9,000. Find out more information about financial support available to PGCE students on the UCAS website.

You don’t have to pay the loan back while you study. It will only be repayable when you have left the course and earn over £21,000 a year.

You apply for the tuition fee loan as part of your application to Student Finance England for loans and grants. Student Finance England will pay your fees direct to the University.

When you enrol we will ask you who will be paying for your fees and whether you have requested a loan. If you have not taken the loan, we will send you an invoice for the fees, which will require payment in full during the relevant academic year.

Bursaries for PGCE students

The Department for Education provides financial support for trainee teachers. You could get £30,000 tax-free while you train, either as a bursary or prestigious scholarship.

The eligibility requirements for financial support vary depending on your individual circumstances and the amount you can expect to receive will depend on the subject you choose to teach and your degree classification and relevant academic qualifications. If your degree isn’t in the subject you wish to teach, you may be eligible for a funded course to increase your subject knowledge before starting your training.

For more information on the teacher’s training bursary visit the Department for Education's website.

Maintenance loan

You can also apply for a maintenance loan to help with your living expenses. When you apply you will be able to state how much you want to borrow. You apply to your local authority as part of your application for a tuition fee loan and for the government grant.

Student studying for a full academic year Maximum available
Living at home £6,904
Living away from home, outside London £8,200

The amount you can borrow is means-tested and will vary depending on your household income.

If you are due to receive a maintenance loan, this will be paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term by the Student Loan Company.

Further information on student financial support via Student Finance England may be found on the Directgov website.

More information

For more information or any other questions about funding for PGCE students please contact us.

© 2017 University of Huddersfield - All rights reserved

VAT registration number 516 3101 90