Inter Library Loans
When to use the Inter Library Loans service
When a book or other item is not held in the Library, you can make a request to borrow it via the Inter Library Loans service.
You can make requests for books, journal articles, newspaper articles, reports, conference proceedings, theses, patents, standards and any other printed material.
You should request only items that you need in support of your University work or study.
External members of the Library are entitled to use the Inter Library Loans service.
How to apply for an inter library loan
Before requesting an item, please check Summon. You need to make sure that the required item is not listed there.
If you have any problems with checking Summon or locating material in the Library, please ask the librarian at the Help Centre on Floor 4 or contact your subject librarian at email@example.com
When you are sure that the item you require is not available from the Library's own resources you can submit an Inter Library Loans Request.
Online Request forms
You can submit requests via our online Inter Library Loans form. However please note the following:
- You will need to identify yourself first by logging in using the same username and password that you use to log in to University computers.
- When you have logged on you can change your contact details at any time by using the "edit personal details" option and overtyping in the relevant fields.
- Where applicable the relevant service charge will be added to your library record as an outstanding fee. Alternatively, staff and researchers need to inform Inter Library Loans of their cost centre and fund code prior to submitting online requests, and entering their cost centre on all subsequent requests.
- When you request an individual journal articles or conference paper you will be supplied with what is known as a Library Privilege copy. This basically means that you can use it solely to support your own private study or non-commercial research. You have to confirm that this is the case by agreeing to the Terms and Conditions before submitting your request.
- Please note that if your research does have a commercial element we can still get hold of material for you, but generally we will have to pay an additional copyright fee so higher service charges will apply. Please contact the Inter Library Loans team for more details:
Inter Library Loans
University of Huddersfield
Tel. 01484 472044
Fax: 01484 471307
- By default if you request an individual journal articles or conference paper the copy you are supplied with will be sent by e-mail via our Secure Electronic Delivery service. To open documents supplied on this service you need Adobe Reader Version 6.01, or more recent, on your P.C.
Paper Request forms
It is our policy to encourage everyone to submit requests using our online forms. This helps us to process your requests quickly and speed up supply.
However, if you can not access our online forms e.g. if you are on work placement without ready access to a P.C. please ask us for a paper application form.
Please note that when applying in this way you need to pay the service charge in advance and stick your proof of payment vouchers on the back of your forms.
Applications from part-time students
You may also send Inter-Library Loan requests by post. Please include a cheque for the relevant service charge, made payable to the 'University of Huddersfield'.
We will also accept Inter-Library Loan requests by fax (01484 471307) provided that you undertake to pay the service charge when you next visit the Library and Computing Centre.
Applications from staff and researchers
If you are entitled to re-charge your inter library loan chargers to your department please ask your budget holder to notify us of the appropriate cost centre and fund cose. They can send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.