Tel: 01484 473919
Michaela Boryslawskyj was appointed University Secretary in August 2014. She joined the University in 2009 as Legal Officer and became University Solicitor in 2012.
The role of University Secretary is very varied; but includes being responsible for ensuring that the University operates within its prescribed constitution and legal framework and to support the governance of the University through its University Council and Senior Management Team.
Other key roles and responsibilities of the University Secretary are to:
- Advise the University Council on the proper exercise of its powers under the Instrument and Articles of Government;
- Advise the University Council on governance matters, including the management of Council and Committee succession plans, the provision of induction, training and briefings and maintaining a register of interests;
- Manage the business of the Committees of the Council, by providing an effective servicing function;
- Provide legal advice to the University’s Senior Management Team;
- Ensure effective processes are in place for the management of enquiries made under the Data Protection and Freedom of Information Acts; and
- To maintain arrangements for the safe handling of the University Seal and provide advice, where required, on documentation to be executed under seal.
Michaela qualified as a solicitor in 2005, having studied at the University and the College of Law in York. Prior to joining the University, Michaela practised as a corporate/commercial solicitor in both regional and international firms in Leeds. Michaela holds a Masters Degree in Business Administration from the University and is a student member of the Institute of the Chartered Secretaries and Administrators.